Well, it’s official.
The babies like mushrooms. And a garlic cream sauce on their food.
My husband doesn’t love mushrooms but I do, and it’s always interesting to see if any of the kids share his aversion. So far its mushroom lovers 6: haters 2.
I actually forget to make dinner with mushrooms because he doesn’t like them (and rely on Trader Joe’s Mushroom Medley in my freezer for goat cheese and mushroom omelets).
But when someone had shared this dinner on Facebook it was all I could think about all day.
So I made sure to get some mushrooms when I ran to the store that day, and fired up this dinner. I should add that I made a second pan without mushrooms for the mushroom haters.
Everyone loved the creamy garlic sauce, and my kids had it over pasta, while we had it over spaghetti squash. It was such a great comfort food dinner. My five year old actually declared, “Mom, I like chicken now!” so that says something.
I used whole chicken breasts in this recipe, even though the original recipe calls for thinly slicing them. Next time I will do this step, or use chicken tenders. In order to cook the chicken through the drippings in the pan got a bit dark, making the sauce dark. So, if you want a light colored sauce and shorter cooking time, skip the whole chicken breasts. But it still tasted delicious. And if you were really in a hurry you could easily shred a rotisserie chicken into the sauce.
This is definitely going to be in our dinner rotation this winter. Hope it makes it to yours too!
Happy Eating, xoxo Katie
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken (printer version here):
INGREDIENTS (serves 4, I doubled everything and added the extra mushrooms to just one pan)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Salt Pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- Creamy Parmesan Garlic Sauce:
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- In large skillet add olive oil and cook the chicken on medium high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown on each side and cooked until no longer pink in center. Remove chicken and set aside on a plate. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until tender. Remove and set aside.
- To make the sauce add the butter and melt. Add garlic and cook until tender. Whisk in the flour until it thickens. Whisk in chicken broth, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Add the spinach and let simmer until it starts to thicken and spinach wilts. Add the chicken and ,mushrooms back to the sauce and serve over pasta is desired.
Recipe from The Recipe Critic and can be found on the web here.
Jessica BahunSeptember 24, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Totally making this soon! Ready for fall recipes and wishing we could visit New England this fall…maybe next year 😁
KatieSeptember 25, 2018 at 7:02 am
Thanks, so glad you like it Jess! And I wish you could visit too!