Happy fall weekend everyone!
Can you even believe how gorgeous it is outside? I am pretty sure God decided to balance out our everlasting winters with just magical fall weather in New England. I feel like I am inside of a magazine (probably Martha Stewart’s? Maybe Real Simple?) every time I go outside.
Yesterday our good friends Matt & Heather and their sweet girls met us to go apple picking. We met at a farm just over the border of Massachusetts called Cider Hill Farm and I am so smitten I am getting their winter CSA.
They have lots of free range chickens and they have this little tunnel they run through from their coop to an open pasture that we dubbed the chicken superhighway. I will forever have the image of them running through the fields as my image of happy, free range chickens.
We picked so many apples and I am so excited to find ways to use them. Since it appears that everyone on the planet went apple picking this weekend too, it seems a little round up of apple recipes are in order.
1. If you follow me on IG you might have seen my story this morning where I made this for pancakes this morning. Pretty much my all time favorite go-to apple recipe. Just sauté 3 peeled & sliced apples over medium-high heat with 3 T. butter and 3 T. brown sugar, plus a pinch of salt and cinnamon.
2. My friend Kirsten wowed me with the very easy app/dessert at book club where she had a brick of cream cheese with two inches of Carmel on top served with sliced apples that you dip into both and I *might* just eat half the apples we pick tomorrow that way. I found this example of it if you need a visual. So good!
3. This Apple Rose Tart is just beautiful. I saw a new French version of The Chef’s Table on Netflix and in my very rough college French I would say I understood about 25% of it, but I understood that making roses out of apples is awesome. Can’t wait to try it. And it is gluten free!
4. This recipe for Chicken Breasts stuffed with Apples and Goat Cheese seems like a very easy weeknight dinner.
5. Fennel and Apple are such a great combo, and I am a sucker for an apple slaw of any kind. This one looks like it would be great paired with pulled pork or chicken.
6. I follow Wednesday Chef on Instagram and her German Sunken Apple Cake recipe looks heavenly.
7. Something about Jaques Pepin just inspires me over and over again. So naturally, his country apple galette with store pizza dough caught my attention.
8. When Smitten Kitchen declares that her mom makes the best apple cake, I’m going to take her word for it. This recipe is my #1 recipe I hope to try with our weekend haul.
9. I have seen a few versions of this apple fritter recipe around the web, some slice the apples into rings, others wedges. All I know is these look heavenly.
10. I vow that this is the year I will make my own chutney. Ina Garten’s apple chutney looks like a great one, but Food & Wine’s Apple, Bacon and Fennel Chutney is singing some kind of siren song to me as well.
11. These baked apples look amazing, and my kids would love them with big scoops of vanilla ice cream.
12. If you want to see how a real Mainer makes apple pie, check out this recipe.
13. When I was growing up we had a now-defunct chain restaurant that served these amazing German Pancakes with apples, and my parents actually let me order them for dinner. I promise to make these beauties for my kids and surprise them with a breakfast for dinner that they will remember.
14. Any version of grilled cheese with apple is drool-worthy, but this one looks amazing.
15. This Chicken Apple Burger is totally making it onto our dinner rotation.
16. Fall = Soup. So this Sweet Potato and Apple soup with a side of blue cheese & crackers or this Curried Sweet Potato Apple Soup needs to happen.
17. This Asian-inspired pulled pork sandwich with apple slaw has me drooling. It looks so different, with soy and mushrooms.
18. These Apple and Sage pork chops from William-Sonoma look like a dream dinner.
19. This Apple Cider cocktail looks like happiness in a glass. But if you are still curious there are 15 more apple cocktailhttp://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/apple-cocktails-fall-entertaining.html ideas where that came from.
20. I think we should end with this little video from Julia Child with apple desserts who reminds us that apples are the temptation of Eve but we can still use them to make a love tart tatin.
Happy Fall! xoxo Katie