Want to meet my favorite comfort food?
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup has everything regular chicken soup has when you are craving a soul-satisfying bowl of something in your hands. Plus it has the balance of all those Thai flavors – lemongrass, lime, Sriracha sauce, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
This pic doesn’t do the flavors of this soup justice, but even still I had to share it on here because I have been eating it all week and it is just so good.
Remember this book?
If you don’t,that is because it was Billy Joel’s second wife who he was married to for a nano-second. When it came out, I was a newlywed living in Rochester, NY and I think I bought it because I saw her on Oprah. But guess what? There are actually a lot of really delicious and easy recipes in there. That is where I found this recipe for Asian Chicken Noodle Soup. It was the first time I had cooked with Lemongrass:
It made this amazing aromatic broth, and now I love cooking with it. It also calls for a little Srirachi in the broth, but when I eat it, I add a lot more hot sauce and lime. I leave it out if I am making it for the kids. And I have some boys in my house that don’t love soup, and for them, I can just drain out the broth and they eat the veggies, noodles and chicken on their own:
But the more broth, the more of those amazing flavors. I ate a pot of this all week and you know what? I felt totally healthy after every bowl. I love biscuits and gravy and collard greens and fried chicken, but to me the best part of comfort food is when you really feel comfortable and healthy when you are done. And this recipe has a lot of ingredients, but it is actually very easy to pull together.
Speaking of feeling comfortable, what could be better then a Wine Tasting in the comfort of your own home?
The Tasting Room had me at whatever ad they had on Huffington Post that alluded to such comforts for $6.95 shipping costs, and I am happy to report a box with this on the cover came this week:
And inside there were such cute little bottles…
…and I am off to go try them. And if you want a cozy weekend, go try this soup!
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup (printer version here)
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh peeled ginger
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 stalks lemongrass, the bottom 3 inches only, each stalk cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp sriracha or chili-garlic chili sauce
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/4-inch thick and thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (about 1/2 head)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 1 to 2 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper (1 medium)
- One 3 to 4-ounce package rice noodles, prepared to package instructions
- Cilantro and mint leaves, sliced scallions, and bean sprouts
- 1 In a stockpot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger. Saute until the onions are translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the chicken broth, lemongrass, chili sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Increase the heat to a low boil, add the chicken, and cook about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrots and red pepper, and simmer an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2 Divide the rice noodles among bowls and ladle the soup into each bowl. Garnish with cilantro, mint scallions, and bean sprouts, and serve with additional chili sauce, if desired.